Friday 7 January 2011

Tomorrow will be Two months to .....

Suffragette Badge

It is two months today to the centenary of International Women's Day, on 8 March. Although I do not go deeply into the politics, I do have an interest in the original Suffragettes. Those who have known me for a while know I have a tendency to branch off into all sorts of combinations of purple green and white, and the badge, above, is an early suffragette one that I wear on occasion.

And I like to pause and do something on the day, in celebration of the fact that I am a woman in a country where I have freedom to make choices. So I will definitely be doing something on the occasion of the one hundreth such day.

At this point, I think I will take my stitching, and sit and stitch all over the place in public. I am sure the local bead shop will let me have a little bit of space in the morning, there is a nice cafe just down the mall where I can have lunch while I stitch, and I am not sure where I will go for the afternoon. Guerrilla Stitching may be in order - I may even go and sit and stitch in the local shopping plaza.

On what shall I stitch? I think it will be a purple, green and white Comfort Doll, for the Comfort Doll Project. Somehow, it seems appropriate. And if any other Stitchers see me and come up and talk (we Stitchers tend to be a forward lot that way, you should see how people approach me when I am Tatting in public, like in hospital waiting rooms), I shall have little bits of paper with the URL handy for the blogspot.

Is anyone else likely to do the same thing - or have any ideas?

4 Comments:

Blogger Stitching Lady said...

Oh, Linda, I would certainly stop by and chat and have fun with you celebrating the women's day and if prepared I would join in and hold a needle. I am often thinking of all this time that is wasted by me sitting somewhere in a coffee house (with DH) or at coffee invitations and empty hands. Simply with my stitcher-friends can we stitch all day long, chat and eat and drink. But otherwise I would be put into a box maybe one for funny old witches or the like.
You are speaking from my heart.
Your dolls are so nice!

10:56 pm  
Blogger Radka said...

Good post, well done:))

6:45 am  
Blogger Linda said...

Hello Anneliese and Radka - yes, it is something important in our modern world, to remember those before us.

Anneliese - maybe on that day you sit in a coffee shop, somewhere, and just do a few stitches for these women. No need to make anything, make it a project, just spend a little time in appreciation of them.

(I am not a knitter, but appreciate the CWA - Country Women's Association - where they still knit at meetings, but at the annual conference send all knitters to the back rows or the balcony. I visit my mother regularly at a hostel - many women sit there all day, knitting squares for others. They do not like idle hands)

10:21 am  
Blogger Barbara M said...

Sadly, I live in a small Welsh market town by the sea, so I cannot stop by to stitch and chat. However, I will be with you in spirit as I create something on the day!
Best Wishes
Barbara

11:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home