Sunday 10 October 2010

Featherstitch Combo I

Pansy8

I have been experimenting with my favourite Featherstitch, making combos. The one above was the first one off the needle today.

Both are stitched in Hand-dyed Hues perle, and when I am finishing one thread and starting with a new piece, I make sure I cut and then knot it at a similar point to where the old thread ended. That way they blend in well.


Pansy7

This was my second experiment. For the record, the process is:

1. Work just the Feather Stitch, groups of two arms to a side. Make it fairly large and open. Be aware that if you are trying to meander a bit, you might get into trouble in tight corners (see near top right).

2. Work along one side of the Feather Stitch, then the other. Takes less thread than going from side to side.

3. For the first arm, do a Detached Chain (I still want to call it Lazy Daisy), that continues the line of the arm. Close it with a long closing stitch (I have been known to use Pistil Stitch here).

4. Work a Fly Stitch on top of the Detached Chain, where the leg goes down to the base of the Detached Chain. These might be easier to see in the single examples.

5. Going clockwise, repeat this with two more Detached Chain and Fly Stitch. Finish with a French Knot (two wraps) in the centre. I was experimenting a bit with space between these three groups - I think I like the one on the bottom right best, where there is a bit of space.

4. Go up to the second arm, and put in a single Detached Chain and Fly Stitch.

5. Move on to the next group of two arms.

I love playing with Feather Stitch - you can see more of my combinations at the start of my Stitch Combinations set on flickr.

Off to try one of Sharon's new Stitch Files.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home