Saturday 15 September 2007

Pricing Fabric (again!)

Not a lot of sewing happening here, as family matters are taking over. But I have been rendering down my mother's stash. A very kind friend has cut it all up into Fat Quarters, then the leftovers into Fat Eights, and the leftovers into Charm Squares. (Or is it Fat Eighths?)

So the dining table currently looks like this, as I pack Charm Squares:

Stash Sale3

Now, my question for all those kind people who helped me to price before. Given that the rendition is not of perfect fabric - it has been washed, there are creases, and some, although generous, are not totally square, what should I charge?

I was thinking $2 for a Fat Quarter, $1 for a Fat Eight and 10 cents a Charm Square. Except the Charm Squares are in bags of ten different squares or fifty different squares. So ten squares for a dollar, fifty squares for $5. I don't want to go up in price, but will they sell for this?

All suggestions welcome.

And there is a little bit of sewing going on here. This Doll is going to be for me.

Doll 3

When I am working on a project, I keep a bag handy for small scraps. So I have sets of scraps everywhere, with the colour and fabric choices already made. This bag is from the Apple Blossom Quilt. So that is where this doll will come from.

9 Comments:

Blogger catsmum said...

assuming that they are 6 1/2" xharm squares that's 36 of them to the metre. I'd price on 20c a square.

6:36 pm  
Blogger Linda said...

Just done a quick measure - they seem to be 5 inch squares, although a few are a bit generous. :(

6:39 pm  
Blogger catsmum said...

I maybe should clarify - it seems that you want to get $8 a metre for the FQs and so on, based on the prices you gave, so this was the closest I could come to that.

6:40 pm  
Blogger catsmum said...

okay at 5" each that's roughly 81 to the metre so stick with the 10 cents :]

6:41 pm  
Blogger Linda said...

Maybe I need to knock it back a bit.

Something like: Buy four, get one free?

6:55 pm  
Blogger catsmum said...

how about packing them 12 for a dollar then?
and my maths was out a bit - at 5" there are 64 -72 per metre [ 8 or 9 across and 8 down ]

4:31 pm  
Blogger Calidore said...

Those prices sound find to me Linda. I have paid from $2.50 upwards for a fat quarter on ebay and if the fabrics are like the girls received what you are thinking of charging is a bargain.

7:56 am  
Blogger sharonb said...

Linda where are you going to sell them - I would love to know as I have a budding quilter that needs a Christmas gift

10:40 pm  
Blogger Pat Winter said...

When I was quilting, I never paid less than $2.75 per fat quarter. Today the fat quarters sell for $4.00 for quilter's cottons. I think your prices are a bargain. You can always toss in an extra for a smile. I find it fun to give the buyer an unexpected surprise.Our nice fabrics in the quilt stores (cottons) sell for $9.00 to $18 per yard.Kind of makes me glad I'm now a crazy quilter and use bits. :-)

9:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home