Sunday 5 August 2007

Price by Weight for Patchwork Fabric

Is there any Aussie out there who is a sane patchworker, who would like to give me some thoughts on selling patchwork fabric by weight.

What I have in my Mother's stash varies from small sections to large lots. All I want to do is let people rummage, choose what they want, and then just weigh it. I will let them do a minimum cut of one metre from the large lots, but otherwise what they see is what they get.

Any suggestions, anyone, of a price in Australian dollars for say 100gm of fabric??? So they get a bargain and the stash goes to a good home. But so my Mum does get something back.

I know I cannot individually price, or measure, so this is the only way I can think to do it. Whatever is left (if anything), I think I will render down to fat quarters, but I don't have time to do this at the minute.

Any thoughts, anyone????

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen 's World said...

Linda, I know I'm in the US but wanted to let you know we have a store in Louisville that sells fabric by the pound. LOL ... gets me in a lot of trouble because I can never resist a quick dig in the bins whenever I shop there. They charge $4.50 a pound here.

11:25 pm  
Blogger catsmum said...

I just went and weighed some of the stash and washed it seems to come in at around 150 to 200 grams for a metre of quilt quality fabric. So if you said say $10 for half a kilo they'd be paying about $4 a metre.

8:36 am  
Blogger Jo in NZ said...

What about by the bag? Get various sizes of bags and put prices on them. $10, $20, up to filling a supermarket bag which I would thick $40-50 might be reasonable ( very cheap) price. You can get ALOT of fabric in those bags. Selling by the kilo would definately be a fairer way though, for you and your mum.

11:25 am  
Blogger crazyhaberdasher said...

Just letting you know that the first installment on needlebooks has been posted.....

8:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home