Sunday 10 June 2007

Antique Sewing Table

This antique sewing table at Old Gippstown has been begging me to take a look for a while - so I finally did.



P06775a


The large picture is HERE. You just might be able to see the patterns on the top.

I knew it had the four drawers that pivot out - two of them are shown here open. When they are closed, it looks like a normal table. The drawers are lined in a quilted silk, which sadly is shredding.

However the most interesting thing was finding that the top of the table spins around - it is an early Lazy Susan. (I hope that term is international. And that any Susans reading this don't think I am having a go at them).

Imagine being able to sit in the parlour with your embroidery, and maybe a nice selection of beads. You want something at the other side of the table, you don't have to get up or reach - you just spin the table around.

So it makes me think I want a modern one - except I don't sew at the table. But it is an idea.

There is another photograph of the table HERE.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Hi Linda,
Love the table..this would be lovely to have by your side as you stitch...I would love one too!

10:02 am  
Blogger jane said...

Oh my goodness, my grandmother had a table like that. I guess she didn't know or just never said that it was a sewing table. She had pictures in the drawers. I wonder where it is.

10:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home