Saturday 18 November 2006

Broderie Anglaise

We have been working on a number of items in the Sarah Carter collection that include Broderie Anglaise. This piece has particularly taken my eye, as I think it is hand-made, rather than machine-made.

P05883a

The largest version is HERE.

In particular, I was taken with the little wheels woven towards the bottom.

There is more about this form of lace, which I have to admit I don't use a lot, on Lace Fairy. You need to go to Lace Identification, then choose Broderie Anglaise (which means, I think, English Embroidery).

Here is another piece I like very much, although this may be machine-made.

P05892a

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Linda, thank you for showing this beautiful work. I'm facinated by the wagon wheels, too, and how that work may have been accomplished.

2:34 am  
Blogger Rissa said...

What lovely examples of Broderie Anglaise. I took a class from Susan O'Connor of Country Bumpkin this past summer, but I still have not finished my project. LOL

11:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home