Thursday 30 November 2006

Broderie Anglaise II

Thought any readers I still have left (life is busy here), might like a look at this little treasure. It is a handmade dress and cape in Broderie Anglaise from the Sarah Carter Collection at Old Gippstown.

P05927


There is a full-size photograph HERE. It is a dress almost totally covered in hand-made Broderie Anglaise to fit a child about four (at a guess).

When I think about it, I can remember seeing photographs of children in dresses like this from the 1870s to the 1890s - maybe later. Must look at some of them again.

What also makes it more interesting is that I now know a little more about Broderie Anglaise. I was working in another collection, in another town, and we were looking at some similar items there, then another cataloguer talked about how it was made - her mother-in-law used to do it. They poked little holes with a spike she said, and then button-holed around the hole.

And, what was more, she still had her mother-in-law's tool. So she went home and brought it back:

Broderie Anglaise tool



This little pick (which is probably larger on the screen than in real life, was made from ivory. And, would you believe, this is just under 4cm long.


Broderie Anglaise tool2


I am still waiting to see a piece of work from the original owner of this tool - that will be special indeed. I wonder do they have a proper name????

5 Comments:

Blogger allie aller said...

That little dress is just wonderful. Amazing how much complexity and pattern can come from a little ivory spike, a needle, and some thread...
It's fun to check in at your blog because there is always something new and interesting to see!

1:06 pm  
Blogger Marty52 said...

Oh, my, that is gorgeous! So much work for a little girl's dress... without a washing machine to wash it with! Gah!

I am amazed that the little ivory tool survived... it's so small it could have easily been lost. I have a couple pieces of this kind of work and I have always wondered how they did it. Now I know! Thanks!

12:16 am  
Blogger Julia said...

Fasinating Linda!
I always wondered how they made that fabric and lace.
We're still here checking your blog, seeing what finds you are coming across!

5:29 pm  
Blogger crazyhaberdasher said...

The little sewing tool is called a stilletto or an awl - you punch it in the fabric to make a hole and sew around the edge - like broderie anglais, I have some doilies etc. with this technique.....crazyhaberdasher

2:03 pm  
Blogger Susan said...

I'm still reading! I had some time issues last week, but I'm back. The dress is beautiful and that little thing is so small - only a little over an inch and a half! I don't know that I could even hold it securely, let alone use it usefully!

11:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home