Sunday 9 July 2006

Day 15 of 100 Days

Back to the Drawing Board.

(And back Mark II - this is an edited Post!)

In the pile of irons we found in the museum collection (we were cleaning up a shed), were what I thought were two Salters #7 Sylvesters patent. With handles of different heights.

Temp4b

The base of the silverish one is slightly smaller. Just enough to account for the difference in weights. But it was so degraded I couldn't read it properly.

The one on the left is a Salters about 5 pounds 10 ounces, the one on the right is 5 pounds 6 ounces.

My Salters #6 is 5 pounds 8 ounces.

So, delete all reference to the numbers being weights - it still may have been you bought a set of irons the same weight with different numbers on them, so you know what you used last.

Think I need to buy a book.

I definitely do - after hitting the two irons with the turps/linseed oil mix, and coarse steel wool, I discovered the silver one isn't a Salters at all. It is a H - with two squiggles above. Whatever they mean.

Back to the Drawing Board.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home