Monday 22 May 2006

Closeups of the Quilt

Here are some more pictures of the quilt I discovered yesterday.

P03863blite

There is a large one HERE, and a very large one HERE (do not attempt on dialup)

The reverse is a red flanelette with black spots, faded in places:

P03863dlite

There is rudimentary embroidery on a few points, such as this piece, which I am unsure if it was added before or after the patch was appliqued on:

P03863e

And I have to look very carefully - I think a number of the patches correspond to dressmaking scraps - where you can see what was cut from the fabric to make the scrap.

So - can any of you experts out there suggest a date, based on the fabrics??? Not that I have carried out a serious analysis of them yet. I was just gob-smacked yesterday.

Hey, Googs, you could put off an overseas trip to see this, couldn't you???? I will be there again Friday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shelina said...

Don't know anything about quilt dating, but took a peek at your pictures - they are great! Your fan wall hanging is gorgeous. I've tried my hand at crazy quilting but have a lot more to learn.

9:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to say how old it is. I'll try and get there on Friday to have a look. I made some cushions once in similar colours from pieces of velvet I got from a place where I was working.

8:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home