Saturday 27 May 2006

Beautiful sewing machine

Yesterday was my day at the Museum, where I didn't get a closer look at any quilts. Instead I opted for sewing machines. I am training a new cataloguer, and I thought quilts might be a bit much for him - but when I discovered he was the son of a dressmaker, and grew up using his mother's treadle machine - the choice was easy. We went hunting sewing machines. And had a lot of fun.

The current count is 26! Although one of them I have yet to find, and I am sure there will be more underneath other things.

This one is our favourite:

P05286lite

It is a Bebarfald Bureau - designed to fold down into a beautiful cabinet on which My Lady can also write her letters. And yes - that is leadlight glass in the doors. These are apparently specific to Australia, and were made in Sydney with imported machines.

P05286alite

And aren't the machines beautiful. They are actually a rebadged Vickers, but they have covered them in Bluebirds (you can just pick out five in this view), and called them the Bebarfald Bluebird.

So that is our favourite. But we love this "Cat Back" Jones in Sarah's Shop, too:

P05281a

It isn't one she would have used, as her very serious Singer Treadle is in there - but so are a lot of other antique machines the Park has collected.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marty52 said...

Cool sewing machines... I love the "Cat Back" paint job! I love old sewing machines, I have an old Singer made in 1920 that sews pretty darn well for an old lady. It is going to be such fun to see what you find in Sarah's shop!

9:11 am  
Blogger Maureen said...

Love the Cat back machine Chloe...any chance of it following you home (VBG)

11:51 am  
Blogger La Bastidane (Nathalie Locquen) said...

My dream, a Jones sewing machine, thank you. I have some antique Singer sewing machine, but this Jones .... wonderful.

10:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home