Saturday 15 April 2006

Wogga 2

Easter is being very relaxed this year, so I have been working a little on the Wogga.

Wogga1a

Sharon had us doing samplers in her online class, and I didn't get a chance to do one - so this is going to be perfect for that - the lines are brilliant for spacing.

I will be attempting to replicate seam treatments from my jigsaw puzzle, and will be posting them in my Stitch Combinations set at Flickr. (In passing, this is the first time I have organised the jigsaw puzzle into the Flickr set - it really did make me look again at how I file photographs! There are some more I will put up there, in time.)

But I won't restrict myself to just the jigsaw, although it is most interesting. I haven't yet found in there, for example, any Chevron stitch. Odd. But lots and lots of use of a straight stitch, and some quite complex.

I am getting quite excited! Marty did suggest I try a Rayon twist thread, but I think I will stick with what I have. I find that if I restrict myself (ie by thread and fabric limitations), it makes me do the creative bit some other way. One of the ways I tried this once was with this block, where I made myself use on DMC stranded (and maybe crochet cotton), in very set colours.

The wogga started off to be just Perle #8 crochet cotton, but it was obvious that wouldn't work for a lot of the fine stitches, although the bulk is good in others. So the #12 came out fairly quickly - and I think the DMC Dentelles tatting thread is not far away. The trick is to use good contrast, I think. And I need to think a little more about complementary colours for the blues, which is what suits mainly seem to be.

And I have discovered I don't have much in the way of blues, especially electric blues, in my crochet cotton. Now, purples and greens, that is another matter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Iris said...

Chloe, I love this block...it reminds me of the quilts my grandmothers made. They didn't have bright or fancy fabrics to work with like we do now...and they made quilts that were meant to be used. Your stitching truely gives it life. :o)

Thank you for shareing...I have learned so much.

10:45 am  
Blogger allie aller said...

Waggas are on the front burner for me, too!
I am commissioned to make a quilt for a young boy to "grow up with"...to be made out of his baby clothes and blankets and bibs.

I spent today cutting off the snaps, zippers, and ribbing of those tiny garments so I could sew them into something else...tomorrow I will start assembling these precious fabrics into a cuddly quilt a boy can wrap himself up in...

The idea of the "Wagga" is so wonderful....of course it would be a needlework "institution" in Oz!!!!

2:10 pm  
Blogger Julia said...

The Wagga is so interesting to watch and I'm enjoying seeing it's progress,
It's amazing what the ladies in those days made quilts out of.
And here we are spending lots of $'s on fabric only to cut it up into little pieces, ( quilty! ) my Dh always says to me, "that's not what i thought patchwork is about".
The Wagga really brings back what the true P/work should be about..

9:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home