Sunday 16 April 2006

First block and edging

Wogga1b

The first block is finished. Sort of.

I am going to edge all blocks in crochet - I have seen this once before with a crazy-patch, and it really suits this type. I turn it over, draw an eight inch square on the back, and where I can, cut the foundation back to that line.

Then I turn the edges over, tack/baste them and press. These fabrics take pressing realllllly well.

Then I blanket stitched around, varying the colours of the cotton as I went. After that, it was once around with purple perle #8. I am going to use all purples, but vary them.

I am still deciding if I will then do one round of double crochet - I think I will.

Later, the blocks then just get stitched together - maybe stitching them onto backing as I go.

Until then, they will stay as single blocks. And I will resist the temptation to back them block to block and make them into a book. Which would be wonderful, but useless as a wogga.

And, until they are joined, I can add more stitches. The large fawn patch in the middle is begging for more, and those lines are so lovely to work with.

So this block is finished. Sort of.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ulla said...

Very interesting to see your first block.They also found in Sweden this type of quilt but very simple stitches and some had the same idea of the edge too but often stiched.
Happy easter from Ulla in the north of Sweden

4:16 pm  
Blogger Erica said...

I thought these fabrics looked very masculine and I was waiting to see how you would embellish them so it's interesting that you are working them with feminine looking flowered stitches and a crochet edge, looking forward to seeing more.

7:23 pm  
Blogger Grangry said...

Wot! No chicken scratch?!

12:04 am  
Blogger Balwearie said...

That's looking quite lovely and I really like the crochet edging. I also like the way the stitches show up so nicely against the plain fabric.

9:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home