Thursday 2 February 2006

Swaps

I have probably been in more than my fair share of swaps in the past, and have hosted more than one or two, but have had to pull back due to a lack of time - and a stash it will take me a hundred lifetimes to use anyway.

But there was one around on the lists that I was seriously considering, which was mooted as a crochet for tatting swap. I can tatt, but cannot do more than very, very simple crochet. Have never taken the time to learn to read a pattern etc.

However that swap now seems to be broadening out into a general motif swap, and while I wish them all the best - that isn't my thing. And my reasoning may sound selfish (and probably is), but it is this:

Swaps1

This is my work from four hours as a passenger yesterday. The snowflake takes 50 minutes, the next two 20, the last one 30. (If anyone is adding up, one actually took a heap more as there was a bit of serious unpicking there - anyone tried to unpick with a pin in a car while DH keeps warning "bumpy bit coming up?)

The snowflake will also look much more ummmm, regular when it has been pressed.

I have a five-hour trip coming up in the next few days - so there will be more motifs and lengths from that.

I am not going to "tatt to order", but if anyone is interested in swapping any five tatted motifs/lengths (you get a scan of what is currently available, to pick), for equivalent effort in crochet baskets/snowflakes/roses (I can just manage tiny doillies), please feel free to e-mail me at kapana[at]netspace.net.au so we can talk colours.

If there are too many I may make a list, and you may have to wait in line. And, while I love all my readers equally and dearly - I am really only after crochet at this stage.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jo in NZ said...

Linda, I've been looking at some sites with tatting instructions...does the stitch differ greatly from cast on stitch? I think I can get it, but I guess I won't know unless I try.

12:28 pm  
Blogger abeautifulcraft said...

Hi Linda, I love your tatted pieces and after receiving your heart with the tatted piece on it and also the 'spare' ... I'm itching to learn. Getting there slowly. You were my inspiration behind wanting to try'tatting' ...
Hugs
Sandie

1:06 pm  
Blogger Linda said...

Oh Dear - Jo, I should have explained I am a stuttle tatter - I have never seen needle tatting even done. But I think part of it may be like cast-on stitch.

And Sandie - I am totally self taught (with book in hand) - the full story is towards the bottom in

http://kapana.customer.netspace.net.au/cq/cq-tatting.html

But if you are learning shuttle - start with a chain, and use green on the ball and red on the shuttle - then, when you get green (not red) stitches, you will know you have got it right!

1:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home