Thursday 19 January 2006

Suffragette colours

Bra2a

I've had a little off-blog comment about someone not realising Purple, Green and White were the Suffragette colours. So it caused me to dig out my Suffragette Bra - made for a Breast Cancer fund-raiser in 2004. The rest of them can be seen HERE, courtesy of sharonb.

There is all sorts of symbolism in this one - there is a silk-print of a scan of a Suffragette broach I own in the centre, a Boadacea print you can just see, and a print of a Suffragette card you can't see.

Boadicea

If anyone would like Boadicea, the largest is HERE.

Why Green, White and Purple (Violet)? It stood for Give Women Votes. Today one interpretation is equal access to decision-making for women at all levels. So it is still relevant, and I still work in it a lot, especially when I submit blocks for Community Quilts. Here is one such block:

Suffragette2

There is a super-huge one of this HERE, as I was playing with stitch combinations.

So I always have a bag of Purple, Green and White handy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marcia said...

Hi Linda,
I've been reading your blog for a while, and thought I'd pop in! Your work is just stunning! You are my CQ role model! I just started my blog the first of Jan. and thought I'd share: http://themacaronimonologues.blogspot.com

5:33 am  
Blogger Digitalgran said...

Thank you Linda for that explanation. I can see the flowers in the left hand corner are Suffragette colours too. I love the bra!

9:58 am  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Regardless of the political meaning, it sure is a pretty colour combination.

12:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home