Tuesday 27 December 2005

Peacock Wall Hanging

The Peacock Wall Hanging is nearly finished. And it is dashed hard to photograph!

And, it isn't square - or flat - but given all the bits that make it up, I reckon it is turning out quite well.

Peacock Blocks F

The largest size is HERE.

I had a lot of time to sit and stitch over the past few weeks, as there was little else I could do. So the strips were joined, and those seams embellished, and all sorts of other bits added.

And I fell in love with Delicia beads - especially the faceted ones. I hadn't realised Delicia is a brand, not a size. And these are just so beautiful. At times it was like working with Roman mosaics.

For this piece, there was a motif that needed a little bit of extra help - so I put dark beads around it, then Delicias around that. And some seed beads and a Svarkorski (sp?) in the centre.

Peacock Blocks 2a

But it was in this piece, where I beaded on top of a fairly flat picture of a feather, that those bronze-mix Delicias came into their own.

Peacock Blocks 12

The original feather was a bit of fun. I put an actual feather on the scanner, and then printed the picture on silk (or was it calico?), and got the image, but it was nothing like the real-life feather. So hence, the beads. I did the outer gold ring first, the dark blue second, and then filled in with the bronze ones.

And I am very taken by the large bead in the patch above. It is genuine Venetian glass, and doesn't show up all that well in the picture, but has a beauty all of its own that you could lose yourself in.

I'm still not sure how to handle pictures of this wall-hanging to show it off - I think I will take it in about six sections, with macro, and put them up, so you can all have a good ogle. It is just impossible to get the whole thing.

But if you would like to have a look at some of the individual blocks, there are HERE.

Tosh thinks there is a Beading Bible in that Bible series, and I seriously want it. I want to learn more beading techniques. I have Nancy Eha's, but I want MORE! *Drumming heels on carpet in tantrum*

Actually, I have a beaded Dragonfly up my sleeve, I think .....

2 Comments:

Blogger Ulla said...

You have made it...so many types of stitches,so many beautiful peacock colours,embelishments .....it's like a diamond.You are really a professional crazyquilter

Ulla in the snowy north

11:28 am  
Blogger Pamela Kellogg said...

Oh yes, I just agree with Ulla, this is truly a gem! It's so beautiful Linda! Good thing I'm seeing it on the computer and not in person. I'd be drooling all over it!

3:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home