Friday 18 November 2005

Meant to Happen

Back in August, I posted the story of Ada Macdonald's needlework book, which she gave to my mother over thirty years ago. You can read the original post HERE. I had always considered Macdonald to be a fairly common name, so it took a while, after Sue told me that her husband was connected to the same small town, for me to put two and two together.

This morning I asked her if Ada Macdonald fitted into her husband's family - and discovered that he was, indeed, her grandson. Ada only ever had one child, a son, and Sue never met her.

Sue is a tutor at the Neighbourhood House where I have also been tutoring - and she is the most wonderful embroiderer. Some of her work is HERE. And she has a daughter to pass the book along to - because I am going to give it to Sue as soon as I finish scanning the pages. I have been loading them on the net - you can see them HERE. I better get a move on - I am anxious for the book to return "home"

I am sure that is what Ada had in mind, when she gave it to my mother, over thirty years ago, many, many miles away from where I will hand it back to Sue.

Think I will just ask Sue if she has a photograph of her - I would very much like to see what she looked like.

3 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

what a wonderful story - true kismet, and from the look of Sue's work, it's a family heirloom that is going to be treasured.

10:12 pm  
Blogger sharonb said...

That story is sort of goose bumps stuff but I am great believer in things working their way around to what is meant to be even if it does take time!

7:50 am  
Blogger Julia said...

What a lovely story, and what a great book to have.
Just goes to show that needle work is timeless..

10:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home