Friday 4 November 2005

Finished!!!!

JeansBag Final

That's it - I am finished. Not that I won't find more broaches to pin on it, mind.

So now I need to write about it???? Design-wise I didn't do anything, just kept thinking "What do I want to play with next". I was in Chicken Scratch mode, and did some freeform Chicken Scratch in black on the blue heart, and then appliqued it on. Then I did the bluebird, and put a Chicken Scratch Heart around it. You can see the process for that HERE. And the rest I just sort of filled in with whatever came to mind. You can see the stages HERE.

And I could have kept going forever, except it had a deadline for the Bags of Fun of four days' time.

So I made up a base, and sewed that in. Then I made an insert that was about the same size, cut from template plastic, and covered it in fabric (so it wouldn't cut through the bag). Then I added a hidden pocket in behind the zip.

After that I made an internal "bag" with pockets, to line it. The black braid is to cover the stitching there. Sewed straps and attached them with gold plastic buckles (from Spotlight). I wanted to be able to detach the strap to wash it if necessary.

The belt is tied like a men's tie, so if I want to close the bag I just pull one part of it, and it closes.

And that was it. Except there was not quite enough fabric in one pair of jeans (lining base, envelope for plastic, belt, strap), so I had to cut into another pair of jeans. I have the top of them left. Just looking at them, they would make a nice bag .......

Next

All I would have to do is sew on a couple of buttons. And just put a seam across the base. I wouldn't get side-tracked into doing too much more.

All Pigs on Runway Three, and in the hands of the Air Traffic Controllers.


2 Comments:

Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Wow, it is gorgeous. I love everything about it. Love that tie-belt, so clever!

Love the fabric you used for the lining and straps - it makes a great combination with the embroidery.

Congratulations!

6:06 pm  
Blogger Gina E. said...

You should go in to business with these, Linda! It could be a very lucrative sideline; I can just see bags like this being sold for a healthy price at one of the up-market, trendy craft markets like Yarra Glen Craft Market!

6:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home