Tuesday 4 October 2005

Stitching Thoughts

Pam and Jacqui both have thoughtful posts on their blogs about the sort of stitching they have moved through (both have a cross-stitching background), and why they find crazy-patch/embroidery fulfulling.

Like many others, I enjoy crazy-patch because, when you think about it, every piece of work is a one-of-a-kind. It is not about following an exact design by someone else - although techniques and styles are followed, and sometimes even piecing diagrams. But that is where it stops.

A piece of crazy-patch is a bit like a finger print - no two are ever the same.

Apart from very exact diagrams appearing occasionally in embroidery or quilting magazines, it is not a division of stitching that lends itself to "patterns". Which is probably what makes it hard for magazines, which are project-based, to include it as much as many of us would like. And why it works so well on the net, which tends to be more exhibition-like.

In other words - look at this wonderful work of art, rather than "this is how to make an exact copy of this wonderful project".

Wish I had some time to stitch!

Maybe if I find a nice picture, somewhere in my files, it will make me feel better ......

Vest4

One of my vests from a few years ago - it rarely gets worn, it is so bright (and short).

But it is one-of-a-kind (thank heavens), and shows where I was at then.

I came to crazy patch from a tatting background (not embroidery or quilting, like most others), although I had done a little cross-stitch. But my main focus remains finding a medium through which I can express myself - rather than a way of producing "items".

I wonder what this particular piece of expression says about me. Don't think I will go there!

3 Comments:

Blogger Gina E. said...

Well, I don't know that I would actually wear it, Linda - I am not looking for that much attention - lol! Seriously, this is something I think I would probably hang up somewhere on display. I could see this in a house where somebody did a lot of sewing, and had a dressmakers dummy on hand. Something like your vest would be a colourful permanent display when the dummy wasn't in use.

10:16 pm  
Blogger Mary-Frances said...

It's lovely! I'm a little more "obnoxious" so probably would wear it, but it shows you have a wonderful spirit! it would be lovely on a dressmakers dummy....maybe you could do a whole outfit! LOL!

3:45 am  
Blogger Dawn said...

I think that those of us who have turned to crazy quilting/patching are following the 'rebel streak' that is in us . . . . to deviate from the 'norm' . . . . to do our 'own thing' . . . . to be our own person . . . . to not allow others to shove us into a box that they (society) has prepared for us . . . . to think for ourselves . . . . Linda, your vest is beautiful! and though you don't think that right now you'll be wearing it, please hang on to it. There may come a time in the future when your shyness will leave and you'll put that lovely creation on, and just think how much easier it will be for your friends with failing eyesight to find your little old self in the 'home' amongst your peers. J/K! . . . . . but could not resist . . . . must be my 'rebel streak' . . . . {g} . . . .

6:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home