Thursday 20 October 2005

Playing with a Birko

Birkos were popular here in the early 1970s - it was the only cooking equipment in one place in which I lived as a student. I'm not sure if they were called that overseas - or even existed there - but I have just found one lurking in the back of my Beloved's cupboard.

Birko1


So, at my class today, I did what any self-respecting cq person would do. I threw some cut up dark blue crepe paper, plus salt (dunno why, seemed like a good idea) into the water, and proceeded to play. I have found dark blue crepe paper is the only one that works really well - and I don't have good pics of the fabric to post - but it seems to work for all.

Birko2

The main fun today was with normally-unwanted white plastic buttons - especially shirt buttons. This was the result:

Birko3

The buttons vary according to the plastic that makes them up - all these were in the same time - bring "soup" to the boil (and turn off), bring back to boil a few times, and voila!

Wonder how lace and onion skins would go in a Birko. Or Rue ......

Tried shaving cream dying too - which was a total failure. Stand by while I experiment some more - unless someone knows where there are some instructions??????

3 Comments:

Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Thats interesting...I never would have thought of dying buttons. I did dip my tatting in tea and it came out a wonderful raspberry color. You got a pretty shade of blue there.

2:42 pm  
Blogger Maureen said...

Wasn't the shaving cream dyeing(which I seem to remember from CanBra last year)for fabrics??
I know I've got the "destructions "somewhere----

7:47 pm  
Blogger Lelia said...

Excellent idea to dye buttons. They are all unique. How creative and fun. Enjoy your week-end.

1:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home