Tuesday 30 August 2005

Chicken Scratch Tablecloth

This is another of the pieces my Dear Friend dug out of her linen press for me the other day, so that I could photograph and write about it.

CS13a

This friend married late in life, and went from the city to a farm. Her friend in South Australia, who made this when she was in her nineties, about ten years ago, made her a number of pieces on gingham, as she believed that was the sort of home she would have on a farm.

CS13

This piece interests me for a number of reasons. It has a heavy, encrusted look. It has those daisies that haven't been appearing in books, and I had so far only found on one apron (although Gina found a piece the other day with them). The daisies have been used in this case to form a lattice.

And the circles have been used to emphasis the dark blocks, not the light ones.

And I like the rick-rack edge - it has been handsewn using herringbone stitch.

6 Comments:

Blogger Finn said...

Hi Chloe, wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog each day, and love seeing what you are doing with your stitching.
I'm working on my first piece of chicken scratch ever. I have embroidered, etc. over the years, but never tried the chicken scratch, even tho I was "around" back when it was coming into being. Yes, I'm that old..LOL.
I found a Paragon kit at a thrift store of a snowflake pillow(muslin). And since all the thread(candwicking) was there I purchased it for just over a dollar. The muslin is stamped with the Paragon name and 1983. The tread still seems strong and useable, so I have begun.
I did have to read and re-read the directions to understand what to do.
I loved seeing how you did the heart on denim. I probably will never use waste canvas, but still loved seeing the finished heart.
I noticed that you do the "X" forming stitches first and the + stitches over them. I like that sooooo much. My directions have me do the + first, and when I put the X over it seems to me that it sticks up too much. Seems like it should be more anchored.
I have learned so much just reading what you write..thank you. Wonderful find, your vintage hankerchiefs. I have a few from over the years. I love vintage linens and have a fairly nice collection. I'll pop over to Flickr and see you things soon.

12:37 pm  
Blogger Linda said...

Interesting that you should pick up on teh Xs being first - I'm not sure what the directions give, but the examples I have in real life are worked that way. And sometimes I do the "square" cross that is last just that tiny bit smaller.

Looking forward to seeing yours when you have worked it.

5:54 pm  
Blogger Grangry said...

That tablecloth, Wow, Wow and WOW!Thankyou for posting.

6:31 pm  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Oh Linda, that is just sensational...can you just imagine how long it would have taken to do something that size?

10:47 pm  
Blogger Pamela Kellogg said...

Linda, there are those daisies again! Just saw some over at Gina's blog too!

I have to give those daisies a try. Oh why am I not done with my Christmas gifts yet?!!!

This is a beautiful tablecloth. The rick/rack border is interesting too.

3:17 am  
Blogger Floclo said...

Do you have any other patterns for chicken scratch tablecloths? I am looking for others. Thanks, Floclo

9:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home