Sunday 17 July 2005

Visual Journals

Gina from Patra's Place was asking about my Visual Journal. So here is an out of focus double page, with a larger one available HERE. That is still out of focus.

Visual Journal

I just use a hard-cover A4 lined book, and write down (not every day), what I am working on, what Round Robins I have seen, ideas, where I have been (you can see a business card in this spread), and whatever I want to keep track of. I use a lot of computer printouts of scans.

Some people do watercolour sketches, serious artwork, scrapbooking layouts etc. I guess each VJ is a different thing to each different person. For me it is primarily where I keep track of what I have done when, with pictures. And I have only been keeping it since October, but already I am stunned by how much I have worked on in that period.

I wish I had started this years earlier, as then I would have known how long I have been working on some things - often the first question I am asked.

Sharon, who we are all so glad to see back, has a sidebar category of Visual Journals, that aggregates all her blogging on the subject - a wonderful place to start.

Here is another page, which is the key for my Peacock Wall hanging, so I had an easy reference to what block came from where, and what to number it for scanning purposes etc.

Visual Journal2

Pity I changed the layout of them after that! And this one is out of focus too - so much for the quick happy snaps. But then, it mean I don't have to censor it.

Besides - bloglines seems to be down, and I cannot check for updates to read anything else. Drat.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ulla said...

What a good idea with a special book for the creative part of the life.
Ulla

3:48 pm  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Thank you so much Linda, for such a detailed explanation - what a NEAT idea! I don't know if I will go to those lengths, but you have me thinking about making some kind of a record of my work.

12:05 am  
Blogger woof nanny said...

What a great idea. I have scraps of paper all over the place--I will have to devote a journal just to ideas. I bought a bunch of boxes (sort-of like the ones for photos), and I organized all my patterns. Plus I arranged manila folders for mosaics, etc...but still all these loose scraps of paper. So I will definitely do this. I think I'll do a loose leaf binder so I can move pages.

6:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home