Tuesday 31 May 2005

New Chicken Scratch Apron

Today, for an all-too-short time, Gina, Sharon and I had a quick run through a couple of Op Shops. And amongst other things, I acquired two more aprons.

And, just quickly, I have to post details of this one, as the Chicken Scratch is quite different:

CSApron

here it is a little closer:

Apron1

Now, what has fascinated me is that this has a stitch combination (making those four-petal daisies) that I have not seen before, in book or example.

AND it includes an unusual knotting process - I'm not sure if you can see it here:

Apron1a

It is most curious - there is a little knot across some single crosses (the ones between daisies), and one in the middle of the daisies with four around it, and one in the bottom right of the circles, where the cross starts off.

This is a beautifully made apron, fully lined - and I got it for $2.50

It was meant to come and live with me - along with the $2 one with cross-stitch kookaburras on green and white gingham.

And it was nice to meet Sharon. We had a lovely, but short day.

8 Comments:

Blogger Pamela Kellogg said...

Absolutely beautiful Linda! What a facinating technique. I'll definately be looking for some chicken scratch pieces the next time out at the flea markets.

Pam

2:26 am  
Blogger sharonb said...

Linda is it a teid cross stitch? i ask because I have seen bonnet stitch worked strictly to the grid looking like this - the twist forms the knot - just curious - great find

6:48 am  
Blogger Maggie Ann said...

This is very beautiful. The detail work on the waistband and the step-down apron edges make this design eye catching to me, as well as the stitching. It has a nice balance to the whole design. I wondor how long ago it was made? I'll be on the look-out for apron treasures from now on too :-).

6:52 am  
Blogger Linda said...

Hi Sharon - I am not sure - since I don't know either stitch. I am off to see if I can find them on a really good stitch dictionary I know.

7:03 am  
Blogger Nansews said...

Lovely apron my aunt did this sort of work back in the 70's

10:58 am  
Blogger Grangry said...

Chloe, I found a picture in an old magazine showing chicken scratch patterns, snowflake, butterfly and rose. I didn't know how to send it to you so I put it on my blog.

Its no good, I will have to do some - see what you've done, as if I didn't have enough to do!!***

7:38 pm  
Blogger Lutine said...

This is very beautiful.

5:16 pm  
Blogger kristena marie said...

Someone worked very hard on that! It's beautiful.

7:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home