Sunday 22 May 2005

Melbourne Bead and Gem Show

Today was my trip to the Melbourne Bead and Gem Show (I had a leave pass for a day as Debra from Nan's Cupboard needed a bus driver). And I had a ball! And spent too much money.

It was the last day of the show, so there were heaps of specials - I bought a fair bit of stuff at 50% off marked prices. And my favourite buy was a string of Malachite and Azurite Hearts:

Heart beads

I adore malachite - it is probably one of my favourites, but I now have too much for even me - so to be able to pass these along to my class at $1.50 each is bliss. And I love using naturally occurring substances - I have to admit I prefer not to be a plastic person.

There were too many nice places with websites for me to list them all - but you can have a surf for a while on the exhibitor list. But I do have to admit I did like the Venetian Glass beads from The Italian Place. And I enjoyed the friendliness of Bead Needs of Hoppers Crossing (a Melbourne suburb half way to Geelong)

Then, as if that was not enough, it was the monthly market on the other part of the Flemington racecourse. And it was good. My highlight (amongst many) was meeting Rod Barnett, who made one of the Dragon sculptures I have had for a few years (and I was sad to hear he is not doing nay more of them).

What else??? Deb tells me that Jadams Pewter is in the process of moving back to Queensland (they were at Drouin, in Victoria). But Wow!!! Although he does not do mail order, she does have his catalogue, and is willing to order in. No more could I ask. I want more of the fairy I used on Viv's DYB.

And there is still the Victorian Bead Society Bead Symposium, Fair and Monster Stocktaking Sale (I hope they don't find too many monsters when they stocktake!!!), to be held at Moorabbin June 3rd to 5th. It is just possible I may be able to get to that as well.

I do like nice beads - and think they will go well on my mobile phone bags - they are small enough to use really nice stuff, as they are almost like jewelry - you lose nice stuff on larger works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home