Thursday 21 April 2005

Embellished Denim

It was like this:

Previously, I had made a bag/purse for my mobile phone. Now, I needed to do a demo at class on how to make one up.

So I thought I would just work the new Semco mini cross stitch kit on a piece of denim, and make that up as an everyday working holder.

Then I decided I would just slip a bit of lace on the denim, before I started cross stitching. But after I did that, there was a ragged end on the lace, so I did some silk-ribbon roses to cover that. And one thing led to another.

And this is the finished result - embellished denim.

Using Crazypatch techniques, but without the seams.

Phone Bag


The idea of using two pieces of rat-tail cord, sewn on and sewn together at appropriate points, comes from the genius of a lurking Possum, who pioneered that technique on a bag she made for me.

I love these little bags - this one is a little too ornate for everyday wear - so I really do need to make a couple more, in different colour schemes, to show off a couple of other ideas I have.

And, I hate to say it - ATCs (Artists Trading Cards), don't do a thing for me. But I hear Viv is making ATC-sized purses. Which is basically what these are. (Would love to see pictures of Viv's, but I know she is busy). I really do want to make more - and I will do stage-by-stage scans as I go, so you can see my process.

And so I can perfect getting the tassel dead-centre. And I know there were a couple of online sites with lovely small purses - can anyone remind me where they were???

5 Comments:

Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Your phone bag is stunning! As always... That little birdie charm is just at the right spot! The whole is so fresh and cheerful.
Looking forward to its little sisters! ;)

How I long for the holidays! Then I'll have the time to try and materialize all the ideas that have been budding since I found your blog and other crazy quilters' blogs.
I ordered a book on crazy quilting and I just received it! Can't wait to read it through!

Keep delighting our eyes and inspiring our minds! :)

8:29 pm  
Blogger Sharon said...

I just love it!!!! sharon/sharlee

10:02 pm  
Blogger Linda said...

Help!!!!!!!

DH has just suggested I get some of those old, wide ties and convert them to mobile phone TIES for blokes.

Help!!!!!!!!!

10:08 pm  
Blogger Maureen said...

What about some RAAF grade green canvas for the blokes?
Embellish with a sprig of barbed wire and add an odd nut or bolt.......
BTW I do like your denim bag!

9:43 pm  
Blogger Becky said...

I love your phone bag! What a great idea.

12:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home