Tuesday 12 April 2005

Beads

At the same time as I got the embroidery book with the Crinoline ladies (see below), I got a partial set of Rosary beads. They have me a little confused, as I am unsure what they are made from.

Rosary Beads


They are solid oval, relatively large and my first impression is that they are Mother-of-Pearl, but I was wondering if there are any bead experts out there who can confirm this - although I know it is difficult from a picture. My impression from a shell that I used to have is that the coating (and buttons are much the same) is quite thin.

These are solid, sort of opalescent, and appear to be a natural substance. Can any bead experts out there help??? The coin is an Australian five cents - I think it is similar to the American one - but I must get one of them, one day.

3 Comments:

Blogger piney cq said...

Hi, Linda!

I won't be able to help you too much with these beads in particular. Really cool, btw...:_)
I just wanted to share...and you may already know this...that most rosary beads were made literally out of rose petals. They were then shellaced or coated with a clear substance to prevent break down. The process is kind of neat when I read about it. Anywhoo...just thought i'd share! Leslie

12:43 am  
Blogger Mary-Frances said...

Now if you want an American 5 cents, all you have to do is ask! Email me your snail addy and I'll send it on it's way! :-)

8:57 am  
Blogger Linda said...

Hi Leslie,

I had heard this, and theink they are the origin of the "rose form" beads you can get around - I have some lovely old colouyred glass ones. Not that I think the actual ones made of roses look like them. But it is lovely to know the origin.

And, Mary-Frances, you are so kind. :) And I was about to take you up on it, when I mentioned it to a DF, who pointed out he still has some from when he went there about ten years ago (takes him a while to spend his money). So I am going to get one and leave by the scanner.

2:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home